Cruelty and the RSPCA

Go down

Cruelty and the RSPCA

Post by squirrelann on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 am

A few years back I took a job as a PA for a local minature pony stud, I won't mention names for liabel reasons, anyway I wanted to be with the ponies rather than PA work, this woman is fairly well know and had been breeding for many years but things had gotten badly out of control she now had over 300 animals and 2 staff which couldn't look after that many, some were kept in tiny pens never cleaned because of lack of time it took most of the day to feed them, her land was prone to flooding and these tiny ponies often stood in mud up to their bellies to tired to fight the mud anymore they just starved, hay was put out but they couldn't fight the mud to get to it, the stallions were run with the mares and she never knew who the father was for certain so the name was made up on the liscense papers, the mortaltiy rate was so high her insurers wouldn't cover her anymore, I left after a few days in tears and naturally got onto the RSPCA who told me they had a big folder on her already but would go back again, I told them to look in the furthest field as thats where the worst were and had a phone call saying that they looked around the yard and thought things were ok, the woman knew what I was planning so made sure they only saw the best anyway it eventually did end up going through the courts but because she had friends in high places was allowed to have her normal sale to reduce stock she was able to keep the money each pony went for 1000 plus and moved to Devon and started again. I sat in the pens with the mares and foals with one tiny baby who was racked with a cough he was sucking my coat and I had him on my lap I asked if I could take him home as he desperately needed the vet and was told " they all cough but its very common " and he was suddenly very valuable and I could buy him for 800 he wasn't worth anything, the next day I was asked to take a body for a post mortem and it was him he'd died in the night, I had to have his body in my car he'd died from starvation, worms and lice because the mares had no food or water they had no milk I don't know whether he'd have survived had I taken him home but at least he would have been comfortable he only stood to my knee, I'd never seen such a terrible place and for the woman to be able to sell and keep the money was wrong anyone else would have had them all taken away and had a fine at the very least but " freinds in high places" works well. This was a well know case in the papers and so many came forward with evidence against her it had been going on for years. Sorry this post is long winded.

squirrelann

Female Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cruelty and the RSPCA

Post by Sasca on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:28 pm

aww im sorry you had to through that. I have very little respect for the RSPCA, they only seem to take on cases that make them look better, usually with dogs and cats involved. They are terrible with birds and reptiles. They charged someone i met for leaving his reptiles for three days. When he tried to explain that they fed before he left and were in a self managable tank they wouldn't have it!!! he fed them like every two weeks normally, 3 days wouldn't have hurt them.

So like i said, little respect. Im sure they'd do fine if there was a dog that was a hat rack they'd do fine, a horse in feild? they'd rather let it go under the rug.
Sasca

Female Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:18 pm

it is so true i hate the RSPCA and even amersham prooves this they had known for ages, yet untill they would be seen in the press etc they left it that long. i think we should have like the humance societys and miami animal police all in america seem to actually do everything yet they have smaller amount of workers less money etc than the rspca.

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile http://www.animalloversunite.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chestnuttymare on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:17 pm

What a horrible, sad story. I keep hearing stuff about the RSPCA. I must say, the times I have called the Scottish SPCA, it has been a completely different story. They are absolutely fantastic, the inspector has always reacted very quickly. Once, he was with me within half an hour for a dying grey squirrel. They are classed as vermin but they still came out. I am not a habitual caller by the way. The other time was a pony in a field full of ragwort and the girl had been repeatedly told about it.

chestnuttymare

Female Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by squirrelann on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:04 am

I think the trouble with the RSPCA is that have become to big and powerful and are getting politically involved in things which is not what they were intended for, we lived near thier multi million pound headquarters in Sussex and they were always advertising for staff the wages they were offering were way above the minimum 10 hour for part time postal staff etc I would have thought that most would work for a lot less just because of who they are, they dodn't spend any money on their kennels cut back on the inspectors then pay those sort of wages, mum used to be a volunteer at the clinic in Cambridge and there was a single lady who'd helped there most of her life the place was run down and used vetinary students from the college but offered a good vet service for those who couldn't afford private anyway this old lady died and left all her considerable money to the clinic and instead of buying more desperately needed equipment for the surgerys they decorated the waiting room and put in posh seating, mum and a lot of the others left after that the old lady would have turned in her grave had she known, they won't come out for stray dogs even if injured certainly not at the weekends don't really want to know wildlife and I've heard of several cases where they didn't want to know for one reason or another I think they've become just another business they'd never get any money from me, aren't most of the carers voluntary yet the office side are in luxury earning dam good money.

squirrelann

Female Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 am

yep all money they ask for goes to head quarters not the clinics etc. the clinics are volunteers apart from i think the top person in each.

i used to use the one in cambridge for years but after that happened i stopped. so so sad they also think they are police. like in the USA, thats one thing i do commend USA on is there animal cruelty divisions they are superb compared to the RSPCA

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile http://www.animalloversunite.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum